1. Our BUPA Provider Number
We are proud to have a BUPA Provider number. Please quote EP00786 when requested by BUPA.
** Please note that BUPA does not normally offer a rebate on any product that is purchased on-line. You normally require a receipt from an in-store purchase. Please call your health insurer to confirm your level of cover and the rebate available to you before you decide to purchase a machine.
If you are in need of futher guidance then please call our team on 1300 361 222 and they will walk you through the process.
2. Our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
We offer a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. This is covers any defects, faults of the system or it just doesn't work !! The only thing we ask is that you pay for the return of the equipment (and any TENS Pads you may have used).
If you do decide that the TENS machine is not working as advertised, then please give us a call on 1300 361 222 so that we can talk you through any issues before you send it back.
We are very proud of our TENS machines and we are very confident that if you use the machines correctly, then they will be of great benefit and help you minimise some of that long term pain you may be going through. So, please read on and see whether one of our machines is right for you.
3. Why TENS?
TENS machines are the ultimate in non-invasive pain relief, an innovative and effective solution for those suffering from many different types of pain. This highly advanced technology has been proven to safely assist in the treatment of pain and help patients with ongoing pain management, as well as strengthening and repairing the injured area.
We have several different TENS models available to cater to your various pain management needs, applications and budgets, as well as EMS machines which are designed for sport injuries and muscle strengthening, and TENS/EMS combination units. All of our high quality TENS machine units are very simple to use, high powered and compact. They can be hand held, kept in your pocket or attached to your body with a belt or waist strap for maximum portability and ease.
4. Purchasing A TENS Machine Couldn’t Be Easier
We are a fully Australian owned and operated company, selling what we believe are the best and highest quality TENS machines in Australia. We have been in business for over 19 years and are consistently getting fantastic feedback from our customers on the success of our TENS machines and how effective and simple they are to use, so you can rest assured that they are fantastic and reliable units.
“Most private health insurance funds provide rebates on TENS machines for therapeutic purposes. We recommend that you check with your health insurer for details relevant to your level of cover and any specific requirements you need to meet, as some providers will require that you have a recommendation from your doctor or physiotherapist, or it may vary according to how much you are able to claim on your individual level of cover.”
Compact hand held TENS machine units like ours give you the ultimate flexibility of strong and effective pain relief with the freedom to walk around, be at work, travel or just relax at home. Our MH6000P, MH8000P & MH8001 TENS units work with either a 9V battery or the included AC Power Adaptor for ultimate versatility.
All our TENS machines are packaged by us and delivered from within Australia via Express Delivery so you will normally receive your order the next business day. From our warehouse in Brisbane we can offer you the very best in fast and effective service wherever you may be. We also give you a 3 year complete machine replacement Australian based warranty on all our products, which is over and above the 12 month manufacturers warranty given by MediHightec, and offer full and ongoing support in your pain treatment and use of your TENS machine.
5. TENS Machine Australia
Our TENS machines provide a completely non-invasive and drug-free method of relief and management of chronic intractable pain.
We offer three types of machines – TENS only machines, EMS only machines and combination TENS/EMS machines:
TENS machines: These state-of-the-art units offer TENS functionality for pain management and relief to treat many different types of pain, both acute and chronic. Using a safe 9 volts, they are very easy to use and portable to allow for flexible use and accessibility wherever and whenever you need pain relief.
EMS machines: These highly effective units are specially designed for sport injuries, toning and muscle building. Used frequently by sports therapists and physiotherapists, they help patients recover from injuries quicker by toning your muscles and strengthening your weak and injured areas with minimal stress.
Combination TENS/EMS machines: Our combination units offer both TENS and EMS functionality to assist with pain relief as well as muscle strengthening of your injured area. These quality units give you the versatility of both in one portable machine, allowing you to alternate between relieving pain with TENS and muscle building with EMS. Giving you the ability to reduce your pain while also strengthening and rehabilitating your muscle fibres at essentially the same time.
6. How Does A TENS Machine Work?
TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) machines work by stimulating your nerves via an electrical current through your skin. They deliver small electrical pulses to your underlying nerve fibres through electrode pads that you place on the area of pain or pressure point. These nerve fibres are what transmit pain signals to and from your brain, and with TENS treatment you can correct or block these signals so that your brain receives fewer signals from your source of pain, in turn - you feel less pain.
There are two ways TENS machines Australia work to relieve and manage pain:
- Sensory Level Stimulation: This is where the sensory information on your nerves is interfered with to block or control the transmission of pain. By using the TENS machine’s electrical pulses to prevent pain signals from reaching your brain, feel less pain overall.
- Motor Level Stimulation: This method causes the release of endogenous opiate-like substances in your body – a pain-killing chemical that will naturally relieve your pain and make you feel better overall.
TENS treatments help to manage pain by giving control over it, by blocking the pain signals to your brain a TENS machine can help you feel less anxious and by provide a welcome distraction from your pain. TENS machines work by harnessing a combination of these methods depending on your body and your specific pain condition, providing you with a safe and natural method of pain management and relief.
7. How Effective is it at Relieving Pain?
While the effectiveness of TENS machines is dependent on specific cases, the therapy has been used in a wide variety of cases to control acute and chronic pain with many people finding it very effective.
TENS therapy varies from patient to patient. Therapy with a TENS Machine depends on each patient’s body and how easily the nerve fibres which (carry pain signals) can be identified, as well as how accessible they are for placing the electrode pads.
TENS can help manage a wide range of injuries and pains, including:
- Back and neck injuries
- Pulled muscles
- Nausea and vomiting
- Migraine headaches
- Scar Tissue pain
- Cancer Pain
- Labour and Delivery
- Post-operative recovery and many more...
Chronic pain sufferers are a large percentage of patients who try TENS treatment. Chronic pain is a very complicated ailment, with many patients trying a large number of drugs and treatments, and even interventive surgery, usually to no success.
Clinical studies over the years from the Australian Pain Management Association have shown TENS treatment to be notably effective in reducing pain among patients with chronic pain. Some studies have shown that from 20%-40% of chronic pain sufferers have reported a reduction in pain. Given the complicated nature of chronic pain this is considered to be an excellent success rate in the medical community considering the very limited amount of treatments that have proven effective for chronic pain sufferers.
8. How to use your TENS Machine
Always follow the specific manufacturer’s instructions that come with your machine. General instructions for use are as follows:
- Make sure the machine is switched off. Test it by holding the electrode pads between your fingers and then turning the machine on – you should feel the pads tingling.
- Clean the area where you want to apply the pads. Make sure the skin is dry and that there are no cuts, grazes or skin irritations.
- Place the pads on either side of the pain area, ensuring they are not put within 2-3cm of each other. If you intend to move around, fix the pads to your skin with tape.
- Set the pulse rate to the required setting or select the recommended program for your pain.
- Switch on the machine and slowly turn it up until you feel a tingling sensation. It needs to be quite strong but not uncomfortable. After a few minutes the sensation will start to drop marginally – when this happens, turn the machine up slightly and then leave it at that point for the rest of the session. Don’t turn it up too high, as this can over-stimulate the area and make the pain worse. There shouldn’t be any muscle contractions while you are using it.
- At the end of the session, turn off the machine and disconnect the electrodes.
- The machine should be used for at least 45 minutes at a time, but can be used for up to 12 hours straight before the electrode pads need to be cleaned and reapplied. It is a good idea however to clean them more frequently during longer sessions, to ensure secure and close contact with your skin the whole time.
- When you have finished using the machine for the day, carefully remove the pads from your skin and clean the area with mild soap and water. Do not pull the wires to remove the pads.
9. Where Not to Use TENS Machines
Although there are no side-effects with using TENS machines, people with the following conditions should not use this treatment:
- When the cause of your pain is not known or diagnosed
- Pregnant women (unless in labour, or medically advised)
- If you have a pacemaker
- If you have epilepsy or certain types of heart disease
If you are unsure, you should consult with a medical professional before you start using this treatment.
TENS machines and their electrode pads should never be used in the following areas:
- On your eyes or brain, as it can affect your intraocular pressure (the fluid pressure inside your eye).
- On the front of your neck. It could cause acute hypertension (a severe increase in blood pressure) or even a laryngospasm (a spasm of the vocal chords).
- Through the chest, by placing an electrode pad on the front and back of your chest wall, or directly over the spinal column. It can be placed either side of your spinal column.
- Across a pacemaker or other indwelling stimulator, including its leads. It risks interference with the device and potential failure.
- On open wounds or areas with broken skin, although around wounds is fine.
- Over a malignant tumour, as studies have shown the potential of electricity to promote cell growth.
- On a pregnant uterus.
- On areas of infection, due to the unknown level of risk. You could potentially cross contaminate with the electrodes themselves, or spread the infection through muscle contractions.
It should be used with caution on areas of numb or decreased skin sensation. The nerve damage is likely to lessen the effectiveness of the machine, and the inability to feel the electrical currents could cause skin irritation.
Not Feeling an Improvement?
Don’t give up straight away if you think your TENS machine Australia is not doing anything for you. You need to use the unit for at least an hour the first time, to give your body time to build up a response to the stimulation. In some cases, you might need to have several sessions with your TENS machine before you notice any improvement.
If you’re using the unit for an extended period of time, remove the electrode pads every 3 hours and clean them before reapplying them. This will ensure close contact with your skin, and a direct transmission of electrical pulses. Sometimes it helps to keep mobile and move around while you’re using your TENS machine.
Be aware that TENS treatment may not work for everybody, but keeping an open mind and a positive attitude will greatly increase the chances of it working for you.
Find Out For Yourself with TENS Machines Australia
We are a proudly Australian-owned family business offering TENS and EMS therapy equipment from our Australia-wide dealer network, and also directly from our head office in Brisbane. We strive to be a leading member of the community by donating to national charities and sponsoring of local sport groups.
Don’t be held back by your pain any longer – with TENS machines Australia you can have complete control over your pain and take back control over your life. Give us a call on our Australia-wide toll free number 1300 361 222 if you have any questions or would like to chat with us, or feel free to drop in and visit us at our office or warehouse.